In the last years, the EC is funding several projects and initiatives to investigate under which conditions biodegradable and bio-based plastics can contribute to reduce pollution in our ecosystems.
These projects can also play a role in providing policy recommendations and supporting policy makers with data, research outcomes and the identification of gaps that should be addressed to actively support the EU’s plastics strategy.
Nevertheless, there is an urgent need to encourage a holistic, collaborative debate, shortening the gap between research projects and decision-makers.
To respond to these needs, a collaboration among Glaukos project, Bio-Plastics Europe, European Bioplastics Research Network, European Bioeconomy Network led to the organisation of the workshop “Unlock the potential of bio-based and biodegradable plastics: challenges to be addressed”, that will take place online next 3rd November from 9.00 to 12.00 CET.
The objective of the workshop is to involve the most relevant projects related to bio-based plastics, to discuss the most urgent challenges to be addressed to unlock the potential of bio-based and biodegradable plastic, in light of providing policy recommendations to be shared with EC Policy Officers in the context of the incoming 7th EBRN Event (23th November 2022).
These events build on the following activities:
- Glaukos Stakeholder Labs workshop “Tackling microplastics pollution: can biodegradable textile and coating be a solution?” – 20 June 2022
- 6th EBRN EVENT “Insights from 10 Horizon projects: EU policy for bio-based and biodegradable plastics” – 22nd June 2022.
- Shared online document collecting Questions & Answers from Policy Officers and Projects with regards to important policy and research questions
The discussion will be structured along the following topics:
- Bio-based vs conventional plastics (performance, consumer behaviour, etc.)
- End-of-Life options (biodegradability, ecotoxicity, recyclability, pollution, etc.)
- Raising awareness, stakeholder engagement, collaboration and coordination of efforts
- Support EU policies